Monday 16 November 2015

Gobby Blog #2


My name is Harry. I am the vocalist for UK Metal band Collapse.


The Weekend - Community - Reaction 

On Friday night, Collapse played a show in Leicester hosted by Resin Events. The show was pretty dang awesome, an amazing line up made up of some incredibly inventive and eclectic bands (please check them out below!)




We did ok, all things considered, it was a short notice show for us, standing in for the excellent CambionI think we're still blowing off the cobwebs from the studio, so perhaps not us at our best. The night was run very smoothly, we were very well looked after and the crowd at the Firebug were exceedingly accommodating.

Of course, thats not all that happened on Friday night.

There's a million opinions floating around already, ranging from calm and measured to maniacal revenge, a vast spectrum of emotional response.

A unique element of this tragedy is that it took place, in part, at a Rock Concert.

Music can be both divisive and uniting. People are attracted to Metal in part because it is a lifestyle, its a shelter away from the overproduced, shiny popular culture that seems to be plastered every where we look. It is a strong community, made up of people who are intellectual, creative, passionate and accepting. Elements of that fake, photoshopped, over produced and shallow culture have made their way into Rock and Metal, sure, but its a minor influence. The integrity of our culture is pretty solid. 

Friday showed me that the community we share is also a shelter, away from the politics, war, famine, prejudice and general human suffering that seems so prevalent today. We gather together to celebrate our shared passion for music and forget the trials of everyday life. Maybe thats why the events in Paris were so shocking to so many? These kind of attacks are depressingly common. Paris was not the only city in the world suffering at the hands of misguided violence and yet the reaction in the media has been enormous.

I have written a fair few songs in my time, lyrics ranging from psychological issues and self loathing to the various negative facets of human kind. I have stood on a number of stages with sweat burning my eyes, screaming about the horror of terrorism and the injustice of violence for profit, but those are just words. Thats all I have. I cant pick up a gun and go on the warpath, nor should I. I cant change the way money or governments work, I am just one person.

What I can do is educate myself.

Step out side the shelter of my music and its culture.

Look at whats going on in the world, and try to find a democratic way to affect a positive change.

To everyone effected by the horrific events that have taken place in the last week, I am sorry. Try to not let hate or resentment take root as this will only spread the negativity further. My sympathy for your loss is limitless.

Stay safe friends.

H

No comments:

Post a Comment